Openspace Exterior

• 8 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Has anyone ever tried, or thought of using Openspace for exterior uses? What were your thoughts on it? I have wanted to us it for exterior inspections on buildings with a drone. Has anyone else thought of using a drone to help with captures or tried?

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I wonder how the 360 image would come across as you viewed the capture. We use a pretty basic drone for doing such things and either take videos or photos of exterior conditions. It would be pretty cool if a  drone was compatible with OpenSpace. Then you could map it’s route and have it capture the building. Saves from having to hire it out to someone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wonder how the 360 image would come across as you viewed the capture. We use a pretty basic drone for doing such things and either take videos or photos of exterior conditions. It would be pretty cool if a  drone was compatible with OpenSpace. Then you could map it’s route and have it capture the building. Saves from having to hire it out to someone. 

@E_M_KC I have tested it out with the DJI Mavic 2 and the Insta360 Drone mount. Unfortunately with the mount on the drone can not operate on GPS mode so I couldn’t map out the route I had to fly manually. Also the way that the mount/camera is setup there is a lens on top and bottom of the drone so the stitching of the photos wasnt that great. I did reach out to Insta360 about it though. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@E_M_KC I have tested it out with the DJI Mavic 2 and the Insta360 Drone mount. Unfortunately with the mount on the drone can not operate on GPS mode so I couldn’t map out the route I had to fly manually. Also the way that the mount/camera is setup there is a lens on top and bottom of the drone so the stitching of the photos wasnt that great. I did reach out to Insta360 about it though. 

Do you think having the 360 view was more beneficial than just the regular view of the camera?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do you think having the 360 view was more beneficial than just the regular view of the camera?

I think that having one place where all of the photos lived is helpful. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I work on big industrial box buildings and have been using openspace for exterior capures. We couple this with aerial drone footage. The drone footage is better for capturing overall shots of the site and for giving a good overview to the client on overall project progress. However the openspace captures are better for viewing progress at precise locations on the exterior of the building. One issue with the exterior openspace captures is the weather. I work on the east coast of Canada and sometimes we have snowy conditions which doesn’t provide for the best captures.
I have yet to try the integration between drone and openspace, but am interested to hear others experiences from doing so.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Cwahl I do not use a drone but I do a lot of perimeter walks and I get a good gauge for how high in elevation the OpenSpace walkthrough zoom is and can view exterior walls without any distortion. For perimeter walks I stand about 30 to 40 feet away from the building.

Typically, anything under 4 floors ranging from 40 feet and under I would be able to see fine details of a building without distortion using the OpenSpace walkthrough zoom feature on a flat wall. As for curved walls or a project with more curved or fragmented facades I would use a drone for anything above 40 feet. I noticed curved walls or buildings with a lot of facades leave a lot of shadows and awkward sun glare which doesn’t help with viewing the exterior. If necessary and I need to view the roof, I do a OpenSpace walk on a roof plan.

Userlevel 1

We have plenty of guys that hold the selfie stick out framed window openings and overtop roof edges to get a look back at the exterior of the building. Captures turn out great.

I’ve also clamped a few 360 cameras to concrete buckets being lifted by the tower crane but that was just straight video footage. Never tried to map that back into OpenSpace…