Recently Joined OpenSpace - Who Am I?

Recently Joined OpenSpace - Who Am I?
Userlevel 5

Hello everyone, I am excited to dive into the construction tech space with you, as this is my first time being part of it! I recently joined the OpenSpace Community team and will work with @nikiya to grow and learn from this community to better understand the construction industry. So far, I’ve been looking over this post recently in the community; however, if you have further suggestions for where you like to learn, articles to check out, podcasts to listen to, or who I should connect with in the construction space, drop a comment on the post to let me know!

Now on a personal note, let me share a bit about who I am outside of work. My name is Krystal Wu and located in Boston, MA. I was born and raised in MA but have traveled and lived in other locations, yet I always return to this spot. I can’t pass up some of the most magical four seasons of the year. I enjoy doing activities in my free time, such as pilates, yoga, kayaking (but only in the summer), gardening, and skiing. I’ll never say no to pizza, hot or cold, and I am an avid tea drinker over coffee. I know, I know, coffee smells great, but I haven’t been able to get past the taste. If you have recommendations for me to try, I’m willing to give it a shot!

That said, I’d love to learn a bit more about you. Share in the comments below where you are located, your background in construction, what you enjoy doing, and maybe some of your favorite foods! 🌎 😎 🍕

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Welcome to the community and hard agree on the tea over coffee, but one step further is of course hot cocoa over everything 😋

Also I am a construction superintendent in New York City.  Feel free to reach out if there is anything you’d like to know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Welcome @krystal.wu !

Userlevel 5

@Gerard -- glad I’m not the only one who prefers tea. What type of tea is your favorite? My go-to is Milk Tea or London Fog. And yes, hot chocolate is a must, especially for us on the East Coast during the cold winter months. 

I’d love to connect 1:1 if you’re interested and hear more about your work in NYC and your insight into the construction lifestyle. I’ll send you a DM with my email 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@krystal.wu My normal go to is green tea, but love (especially if sick) ginger tea with raw honey.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Welcome to the wild side, Krystal - glad you’re here!

I worked in manufacturing for a good while, but started in the technology space within the construction industry at the beginning of this year, and I searched for Construction Technology podcasts and listened to everything I could find when I was getting started.  I’m out of Dallas, Texas and work for a specialty subcontractor, utilizing OpenSpace to solidify our project progress documentation program.

How special it is to be around Boston and all of the history that lives in that city!  I’ve never had a chance to spend any time there, but have always wanted to check it out.  Pretty cool that you garden - that’s a dying art these days, it seems like.  I’ve actually never had a cup of coffee, or a tried hot tea...I need to do better, lol

Userlevel 5

@Justin -- thank you for the warm welcome; I’m excited to be here! 🙂

Glad to hear podcasts helped you; I also really enjoy them. It’s helpful to listen while working on other tasks. Do you have any specific podcasts you like in the Construction Tech space? I’ll take your advice and start listening. 

You’ll have to visit Boston sometime; it is a beautiful city. I know some fantastic restaurants and places to check out if you need them. I got into gardening a few years ago, mainly to get fresh vegetables, and now I’m really leaning into the landscape side and caring for flowers too. 

Lastly, I’m surprised you haven’t had coffee or tea before. If you are ever feeling adventurous, I’m going to go with what @Gerard said, and it’s worth trying green tea (if you like bitter flavors); if not, ginger tea is excellent! What is your preferred drink of choice, then? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Green or Black tea with some honey mixed in is a good starting point also not to feel like you are alone I have never tried coffee.

Userlevel 5

Also -- thank you @Cwahl! What has brought you to the OpenSpace community? 🙌

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@krystal.wu - I didn’t listen to any one particular group’s content, just listened to everything that I could to learn industry specific terms and things like that!

Boston is definitely on the list - I’m big into history and spent some time in Charleston a few years ago going through Revolutionary War sites - planning to get to Boston someday to check out the Harbor and all of the places!

In Texas, it’s water or it’s sweet iced tea - there are no other acceptable choices around here, y’all 😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Krystal,

Es freut mich, Sie kennen zu lernen.  Willkommen in der Kommunity!  Ich liebe in Virginia, und ich habe zwanzig Jahre Bauerfahrung. Ich ubersetze meine satze gerne ohne grund ins deutsche und mein Lieblingsessen sind Garnelen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@krystal.wu I was asked to join and help build the community and figured it would be fun. And it has been.

Userlevel 5

@Anodizedfate, I can’t speak/read/write any German but thanks for the welcome! 20 years is a lot of experience, what specifically do you do in Construction? 🙂

Userlevel 5

@Cwahl Glad to hear it’s been a fun experience for you. If you ever have any feedback (anything working well or improvements), my inbox is always open!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@krystal.wu I just google translate to keep things interesting!  I’m a Project Manager and have enjoyed being involved with this group.  Welcome!

Userlevel 5

@Anodizedfate A Project Manager, that’s exciting! What do you like most about your job? And since we’ve all been sharing our favorite drinks in this thread, what would you say yours is?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@krystal.wu 

Helping folks get their final desired space is probably the best part of the job.  Fav drink:  White Monster!