WFH or not WFH. That is the Question..

• 6 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Obviously there are positions in construction that require bodies physically at a jobsite. But as construction engineers that lean more heavily on technology has anyone fully settled on their work from home approach? Are you full WFH, already back at the office or do you have a hybrid model?

Is anyone seeing massive productivity gains losses in any of said categories? 

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Our company is about 25 folks in the office so nothing big and we have been in the office the full time. I have seen however the client/owner reps have been working from home almost 100% of there time. Having on-site architect and owner walks have been far and few between which is one of the reasons we migrated to OpenSpace. 

I wouldn't say I've seen a massive productivity swing, but it has put more on us for QA/QC rather than the architect and owner doing there weekly walks through the job verifying there intent. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

We have an unstructured hybrid model and it has been really nice.  I feel like the pandemic has forced folks to look at broadening the possibilities of work models and it makes sense that a shift starts happening towards a hybrid model.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Obviously there are positions in construction that require bodies physically at a jobsite. But as construction engineers that lean more heavily on technology has anyone fully settled on their work from home approach? Are you full WFH, already back at the office or do you have a hybrid model?

Is anyone seeing massive productivity gains losses in any of said categories? 

@Helio It’s happening organically as at my organization as we are responding to the county rules, state rules, leadership and owner preferences. It would not be a bad assumption that projects across the US are still maneuvering and functioning in the similar fashion. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Our company is about 25 folks in the office so nothing big and we have been in the office the full time. I have seen however the client/owner reps have been working from home almost 100% of there time. Having on-site architect and owner walks have been far and few between which is one of the reasons we migrated to OpenSpace. 

I wouldn't say I've seen a massive productivity swing, but it has put more on us for QA/QC rather than the architect and owner doing there weekly walks through the job verifying there intent. 

@E_M_KC Would you say there is some influence of the geographical location. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have an unstructured hybrid model and it has been really nice.  I feel like the pandemic has forced folks to look at broadening the possibilities of work models and it makes sense that a shift starts happening towards a hybrid model.

@Anodizedfate Yes! Although hybrid model has its own pros and cons but still rooting for it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@E_M_KC Would you say there is some influence of the geographical location. 

I wouldn’t say it is based on geographical location and would say it is more about how we operate as a company. We fall more along the lines of maybe a hybrid model. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

We have also adopted a hybrid model which includes being back at the office a couple days a week and at home or on the construction site the rest of the week. Personally I have enjoyed getting back to the office a couple days a week, and I enjoy the flexibility of the hybrid model. I think that the flexibility can be a blessing or a curse. If people are using it effectively it can make for more efficient collaboration in my opinion.  

Userlevel 7

It’s now 2022 and we’re still asking this same question!

Just wanted to share this Construction Executive article that we posted on our social media platforms today. OpenSpace CEO Jeevan Kalanithi @Jeevan discusses the benefits of hybrid construction.

Hybrid construction is the future of the industry.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

My company and team has been working under a somewhat hybrid model.  My role is 100% field based, but I could see in the future the need for just field based positions decreasing as more and more roles can be accomplished from home with primarily safety and supervision being the required in person roles.  Seems to be working well and hopefully working towards one day myself having a bit of flexibility in this department.