30 Acre Jobsite

• 17 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

We have a 30-acre Athletic Field project that we are going to use Openspace on.  I was curious if anyone had any best practices or approaches when capturing that much real estate?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I had a similar project and we broke things down by athletic fields or quadrants (football, baseball, softball etc). We had done each of these captures on their own sheet but then switched to caputing on one sheet. We kept the same capture schedule and dividing up the different sport fields. Our site didn't allow for mounting to a UTV and keeping a good image so we stayed with the hard hat and walking for captures. 

I didn't get a chance to explore the drone option but if the path could be mapped for a drone it would have saved a little more time in capturing.

Userlevel 1

@Ethan Meyers sounds like I am tackling the same type of project.  This is extremely helpful, and I agree with the ATV approach maybe not getting the best results.  I was looking this morning and I am going to get a pole to see if the additional height helps cover more ground area with less walking.

With everything that you are looking at being located on the ground did you have any issues with the helmet mount and getting clear photos or did you use a pole?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I would either take the hard hat off or just look down to get specific in ground items for a second or two. Generally I knew where to walk to make sure I capture things on the ground.