Best Camera Opinion?

• 28 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Any opinions on the best 360 camera when using OpenSpace?

I’ve really liked the Insta360 One X, but haven’t upgraded nor tried the X2 yet… and really haven’t used another camera for captures, so I just wanted to see if anyone has been able to test drive a couple and made a decision based on dating around rather than an arranged marriage.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Most of our Cameras are the Insta360 OneR but we have started purchasing the Ricoh Theta Z1 which is more expensive but we have seen better quality of captures with it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have used both the Insta360 OneR and the Garmin VIRB 360. I was happy with both and didn’t see a big difference between the two….except that you look more like a telletubby with the OneR!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The Ricoh Theta Z1 has much better quality in comparison to Insta 360. Would totally recommend in spending some extra bucks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Ricoh Theta Z1 has much better quality in comparison to Insta 360. Would totally recommend in spending some extra bucks! 

@SMO We also just purchased some 360 camera lights to help with photo quality.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Cwahl you steered the conversation that needs more attention. 

Userlevel 7

@Cwahl you steered the conversation that needs more attention. 

Note: @SMO started a new conversation thread to dive deeper into @Cwahl’s comment regarding camera lighting accessories! Make sure to check it out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hands down the RICOH THETA Z1 has been the best camera i have used so far. we started with the insta360 and clarity of capture was the biggest problem. We switched to the RICOH THETA Z1 and i was amazed at the difference. You get what you pay for like most products I guess. The clarity from the THETA is so much better and worth the money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

side by side comparison of the Z1 and the ONER, look at the ceiling grid.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I also notice that ALL the cameras focus and capture “motion” more than still objects.

i.e. if i was capturing bottom of wall conditions and was standing still, all objects in the picture are clear. And if i was walking and capturing bottom wall conditions my “MOVING FOOT” would be crystal clear and the wall slightly blurred.

now i try to stand still in individual rooms for a moment for best clarity

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Cwahl,

is the Z1 on the left?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Started with the Insta One R and recently got the X2 and very happy with the difference in quality with the X2 if you want something better than the X but cheaper than the Theta.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Cwahl,

is the Z1 on the left?

yes it is @ReaJoshua