Best lighting accessory for camera

• 30 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Team, 

Any opinions on the best 360 degree lighting accessories when using openspace in dark or low-light areas?

We purchased the Halo lights from the Illumagear but had to improvise and add additional headlamps at angles at the blind spots. It added some weight to the hard hat with the camera, headlamps and accessories so felt a lil uncomfortable walking more than an hour (big site). 

https://shop.illumagear.com/collections/frontpage/products/halo-sl

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@SMO We just purchased the Bushman Halo lights. Hoping to test them out in the coming weeks once we get them. link below.

https://bushman-panoramic.com/product/halo-360-light/

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Cwahl looks cool though! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

If you’re ballin’ on a budget, you can get some pocket flood lights with clips.  Clip two of them back to back on a selfie stick or clip some on your vest and have one facing behind you:

Milwaukee Pocket Flood Light

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you’re ballin’ on a budget, you can get some pocket flood lights with clips.  Clip two of them back to back on a selfie stick or clip some on your vest and have one facing behind you:

@Anodizedfate yeah we have tested out a few different smaller lights like that, we even went and purchased a large portable light plant. It wasn’t ideal or fun to carry but it got the job done.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Anodizedfate Nice! Its good to know we all are experimenting. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Anodizedfate yeah we have tested out a few different smaller lights like that, we even went and purchased a large portable light plant. It wasn’t ideal or fun to carry but it got the job done.

@Cwahl we pushed on subs for providing temp lighting but at some locations the ceiling height is 30 feet. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I know I am almost a year late on this discussion, but came to post a similar question. Has anyone found good solutions? Projects at mid construction with little to no light in interior rooms or single point shots above a ceiling can make for some really grainy images. so far taking a field note with flash on is the best we have come up with. 

We haven’t pulled the trigger on the halo light yet. It was the original recommendation, but doesn’t seem to throw light upwards which would be the most helpful for us. I had also seen the bushman 360 and was considering that. It doesn't seem to be a solution for wearing it on a hard hat, but we’ve had success with selfie stick walking captures. @Cwahl have you had success with that bushman light you mentioned? 

Perhaps there is a setting on the camera that could help? I’m fairly new to cameras but we’re shooting with same as pictured in the post - INSTA360 one X2.

Userlevel 1

This may be frowned upon here but here it goes anyways ;)… the best info that I’ve been tracking on this over the years has actually come from StructionSite.

They used to have a whole page dedicated to their R&D/use cases on this topic with links to buy the recommended products.

A lot of our people performing captures actually prefer to use a selfie stick over the hard hat mount which opens up your lighting options. Although I have held flashlights in my hands with a hard hat mount that worked pretty good the one time.

Getting back to the question, they were recommending the Bushman panoramic halo. (Link below) Screws right in below the camera and has a real slim profile. Multiple brightness settings and the led’s these days are surprisingly bright.

Since then they actually just went straight to source and started getting these manufactured out of China themselves to bring the price down. They have some tripod mounted ones as well if you were taking photos and could set the scene ahead of time.

Hope this helps. Wonder what an OpenSpace designed lighting system would look like 🤔

https://structionsite.com/resources/new-user-guide?wchannelid=cpztffn3lt&wmediaid=vxrqbn4l15

https://bushman-panoramic.com/product/halo-360-light/