Question

capture quality comparison

I was at Waypoint NYC where we were told the the Insta360 One RS 1” (I agree, horrible naming by them) is now supported. We were shown a slide that had a comparison of the quality of capture using that vs the previous model. We’re in the market for a new camera, and I was wondering if it would be possible to show a comparison of shots using the various cameras. Would be nice to know how all of the supported cameras stack up next to one another.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Andrew Northshield I will post one shortly.  Right now we are using the Ricoh theta Z1 and the Insta360 One X2.  This video below also might be very useful for you.  Keep in mind that using OpenSpace captures is periodic photos.  So the video comparison may or may not be of value to you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Insta360 One X2 (normal)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Ricoh Theta Z1 (normal)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Insta360 One X2 (zoomed in)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Ricoh Theta Z1 (zoomed in)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Its not exactly the same photo, but its as close of a representation that I could find quickly between the two.  Basically the cameras with a 1” sensor (Theta Z and OneRS1) are going to do better in low light and capture more detail vs the smaller sensor cameras.

thanks for this.  i appreciate the shots and the insight.  the low light is a very good observation as that is one of the main issues we, and apparently most other people using openspace, are having to contend with.

i wonder if we can get openspace to do an actual comparison of all of the cameras in the same space under varying lighting conditions.  would be nice to have as a reference.

Userlevel 3

Indeed, the new insta X3 brings a lot of confusion to people because of his 75MP photo quality, but it’s not to take in consideration since OpenSpace uses Video Quality. As @Gerard O'Donnell said, the 1 inch cameras are going to do better in low light and capture more detail. Thats the point and makes the difference.

I think most of people using OpenSpace need those 1 inch cameras, because on site most of time the light installation is not good. In addition to this you add the led ring on the helmet and you’re ready to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Illumagear-iLLUMAGEAR-Halo-SL/dp/B0862D4294/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/138-8214252-3652325?pd_rd_w=LdvJN&content-id=amzn1.sym.7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_p=7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_r=V817EB060V4N0S98ZPG8&pd_rd_wg=5X89Q&pd_rd_r=c3129a25-5dfe-479b-82ed-7429a6db1896&pd_rd_i=B0862D4294&th=1

Userlevel 3

i wonder if we can get openspace to do an actual comparison of all of the cameras in the same space under varying lighting conditions.  would be nice to have as a reference.

https://youtu.be/saUYk6LSvb0?t=639

Take a look at this video, hope it answers to your question 😉

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Olivier Vanlandeghem I didn’t realize that it was the video quality.  Would you say that the One RS 1” is the current best choice then?

Userlevel 3

I didn’t realize that it was the video quality. 

Yes, as far as I know. 

What makes the difference is the 1” lens, it’s able to do better film captures in darker places.

So this means the Insta RS 1 and Ricoh Theta Z1 are the best for OpenSpace since OpenSpace takes screenshots every ½ second of the film sequence you recorded. 

(please correct me if I am wrong, but that’s the way it was explained to me).