Field Notes Use Cases

• 29 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was curious as to how other companies and project teams are using Field Notes. We have a good number of projects using Openspace and they are doing awesome at capturing and using past captures but we are wanting to start getting teams to use Field Notes more. We would love to eventually start using it for punch list. Cant wait to hear the different workflows. Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Cwahl  We used fieldnotes for site cleanup report and the process worked pretty smooth. We created a category ‘cleanup’ under field notes and tagged each pile of materials as a fieldnote during the walks. The one-click reports were easy to export and enough to hold subs accountable. There was a lot of walking involved though! 

Userlevel 5

Hi @Cwahl - a large amount of our customers are using Field Notes as a punch list tool. One webinar recording I think you would benefit from listening to is How to Use OpenSpace for Improved Operational Productivity. Kyle Snyder, VDC Manager of Clancy & Theys, discusses how he customizes Field Notes to increase efficiency amongst different project teams. As @SMO mentioned, they are also a popular tool for cleanup notices and I see a lot of users generate Field Note PDF reports and send to each of their subcontractors. Thoughts on doing a customer roundtable centered around Field Notes? 

Userlevel 3

Hello, indeed the Field Notes are good to use for cleanup reports but also for security reports, to do list for subcontractors, adding extra information (that are not listed on the plans) for subcontractors, …

And as @SMO mentionned they are so easy to export as PDF, verry useful tool !

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Haven’t really implemented this yet, but did a test case linking field notes to plangrid tasks for punch listing and it was a pretty smooth process.

Userlevel 1

I often use field notes more as bookmarks, we don’t really track issues within OpenSpace as we have other platforms for that.

If there is something noteworthy that I’ve coordinated or want to track progress of installation, I throw a field note on there and then can easily find it later if I need. I may open them up in the next coordination call or a couple projects down the line when I want to reference something we did on a previous project. No way I could find that specific image easily otherwise.

The other way I have been using field notes is to mark milestone captures (been requesting another fix for that but that’s a convo for another time). For example, I have a custom tag for pre-pour and I add a field note to every pre-pour capture we do. Then I can print a PDF field report of just that tag so I get a listing of all the pours.