Frequency and Tracking for OpenSpace Visits

• 12 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey Everyone,

I thought I would ask how frequently everyone uses their OpenSpace camera on their jobsites to track the job? Also, do you visit the jobs on job milestones (EX: Inspection Dates, Exterior Envelope Complete, Structural Framing Complete etc.) in the overall construction schedule.

As a Project Engineer for a large drywall/ceiling and specialties contractor, I visit a specific construction site every two to three weeks. This helps me report which walls are closed up and are still open.

I’m looking forward to report milestones in DPC (Digital Production Control) and syncing it with OpenSpace Clearsight later this year. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@KevLyons I work for a large GC and our jobs walk about 1 or 2 times a week and for inspections. Ech job that is using Openspace has a camera or two and the project teams do the walks. If you are looking to increase your captures you should look into having the foreman do them once a week or before closing up the walls or ceilings. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Cwahl Thank you for the good idea.

The method of incorporating our Foreman would be a little more efficient. They are getting a hang of the technology but view it a lot less due to the demand of the job’s work for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Cwahl Thank you for the good idea.

The method of incorporating our Foreman would be a little more efficient. They are getting a hang of the technology but view it a lot less due to the demand of the job’s work for sure.

@KevLyons it starts slow but once they get the hang of it and use it and it saves them some rework it will take off.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@KevLyons Like Cameron, I am on the GC side and try to get captures 1-2 times per week. Aside from routine weekly walks, I try and hit milestones or important events in the job. For instance, new wall layout, after or before any in-wall or overhead inspections, after major deliveries, after initial paint, before and after carpet. 

I try to think ahead on what stage/task is worth documenting incase of damages, conflicts, etc. arise but all depends how frequent you can access the site. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@KevLyons I’ve had both ends of the spectrum, where there are couple walks a day a few times a week to walking once every few weeks.  I think it comes down to how closely you need to track.  I agree with @KevLyons that the milestones are important and with @Cwahl that the foreman or field staff should be doing it more regularly. Generically speaking, if you are the only one doing captures and it’s only every 3 weeks on a production job, you may not be getting as much benefit from this as if you had more frequent captures.

My two cents (which you didn’t ask for), If you are going to be managing the DPC and ClearSight reports, they will be much more fruitful for you with more captures.  If you can find a way to spread the “capture load” and have you do a week, your foreman another week and another qualified person to share the time it takes to walk, it may not be as cumbersome for any single person and you can still reap the rewards.