Solved

Has OpenSpace been approached for use by inspectors?

• 26 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I recently was using the 360 photo capture on my project in NYC and was approached by one of our third party inspectors asking about OpenSpace.  I showed him how to use the app and some examples of the captures on the job and when looking into use cases and pricing, it seems like the target users in mind are owners, GCs, and trades.  Has there been any thought to inspection agencies utilizing OpenSpace?

icon

Best answer by Robert Shear 1 February 2022, 19:33

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have also been inquired by inspectors in Tampa / St Pete area about using OpenSpace for inspections. I just refer to them to OpenSpace and recommend the best resolution camera (Rico Theta Z). They are very curious about the possibility of virtual inspections from our OpenSpace footage, however I do not believe this is something most GC, Owners, Etc. would be willing to share. There is too much liability in the amount of data in the captures. Inspectors are looking for certain things to complete their verification of work installed correctly, however with captures they would have way more information than needed. It could potentially be detrimental.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not to mention the level of accuracy from the inspectors side from reviewing captures. I’m all for the WFH movement where feasible, but with inspectors; it just feels like they are one of the most important project members to physically walk the site.

@mdriscoll and @Gerard thanks for the question.  We’ve had some discussions and pilots with inspectors.  Some of the challenges around data sharing definitely came up but they also see the value of virtual inspections and in having a digital record of inspections for documentation and further review.  I’d love to get a better idea what you are thinking.  If it’s OK with you, Nikiya can connect us via email so we can continue the conversation.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7

@Gerard and @mdriscoll, I’ve connected you with @rmshear. Thank you for prompting us to discuss this topic. If anyone else has more insights on this, please feel free to continue adding your comments here!