How Long Are your Captures?

• 6 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I am curious how long everyone’s captures are and any tricks they may have found. For instance, on one job, the building is broken up by Floors and then by Cores. I set the project up in OpenSpace to be by Core and it would take about 7 mins to walk each one. 4 Floors and 3 cores per floor it would take me about 1hr and 15mins to capture the site and I still had storage available on the card and battery life left in the camera. 

On almost an identical project, I decided to setup it up per floor rather than cores. 5 floors (4 cores per floor) It would take me about 17min per floor to walk. By the 2nd floor I would still have storage left but no battery life in the camera left. 

I have found I can not do both buildings without clearing the sd card and that planning how your setup the project can dictated your capture time. We all know time is money so wanted to see if anyone how experimented at all with this. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We have found that less is more when it comes to the amount of sheets that we have for teams to capture on. So if we have 3 sheets for one floor we overlay them in Bluebeam so that it is just one sheet to help save time both while capturing and while looking for the captures later. I just looked at our capture data and it looks like we are averaging 7.22 mins  and 18.05K SF per capture.

Personally I think that keeping it simple for the person capturing is the best practice. If you give them the 3 floors with 4 cores that is more button pushing on their phone since they have to start the process over for each core when they could be walking, which is why you might have more battery life that way. The ones doing the capturing are normally some of the busiest ones on site so they want to get it done anyway.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I tried to get people to stay around 5 minutes.  I agree that having a single elevation all on one page allows people to walk a little more freely and not worry so much about the start/stop of the video.  I’d also say, planning the route with your team beforehand as well as looking back at their path and seeing if it could have been captured in a more efficient manner.  The thing that may be different for me was that we typically didn’t capture every day, rather a few times a week, so we could alternate portions of areas or do every other floor.  It’s hard to gear down to less captures if you’re already in a groove though… you may benefit from carrying an extra battery with you or something.  You need a pit crew to hot swap your camera battery out for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Anodizedfate we were going to have to walk 31 floors so we went out and bout two external battery packs and extended cords so that we could stay moving and capturing in one site visit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I am curious how long everyone’s captures are and any tricks they may have found. For instance, on one job, the building is broken up by Floors and then by Cores. I set the project up in OpenSpace to be by Core and it would take about 7 mins to walk each one. 4 Floors and 3 cores per floor it would take me about 1hr and 15mins to capture the site and I still had storage available on the card and battery life left in the camera. 

On almost an identical project, I decided to setup it up per floor rather than cores. 5 floors (4 cores per floor) It would take me about 17min per floor to walk. By the 2nd floor I would still have storage left but no battery life in the camera left. 

I have found I can not do both buildings without clearing the sd card and that planning how your setup the project can dictated your capture time. We all know time is money so wanted to see if anyone how experimented at all with this. 

@E_M_KC  This is such a great observation, on a recent convention center project with each floor 800 X 400 feet we broke the entire project by floors. I figured it would be easier to press less buttons and just walk freely on the entire floor. We had 3 floors with a huge area to cover but was interrupted due to CAZ or work operations. I had almost no battery after covering half of second floor. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I tried to get people to stay around 5 minutes.  I agree that having a single elevation all on one page allows people to walk a little more freely and not worry so much about the start/stop of the video.  I’d also say, planning the route with your team beforehand as well as looking back at their path and seeing if it could have been captured in a more efficient manner.  The thing that may be different for me was that we typically didn’t capture every day, rather a few times a week, so we could alternate portions of areas or do every other floor.  It’s hard to gear down to less captures if you’re already in a groove though… you may benefit from carrying an extra battery with you or something.  You need a pit crew to hot swap your camera battery out for you.

@Anodizedfate I have received feedback from the project team that planning the route only helps to an extent as site conditions change frequently and has a bigger role in dictating the route. For example, a civil sub or roofer moved from one end of the jobsite to another due to unforeseen conditions. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Anodizedfate we were going to have to walk 31 floors so we went out and bout two external battery packs and extended cords so that we could stay moving and capturing in one site visit.

@Cwahl I am assuming the typical floor size was small.