OpenSpace Capture Schedule

• 15 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Did anyone have to make a schedule to walk for their project?  This helped provide some accountability to make sure the team was all doing their part in getting captures/data.

Here’s a link to one I made if someone needs a starting point to make something for themselves.

OpenSpace Schedule

(black - the floor not existing yet, white - available capture window time frame, orange - scheduled finish)

Who else has a schedule or some other supplemental tracking system they used for their projects to share to help out folks that may need some traction?

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing @Anodizedfate! I’d be interested to know if others use something similar to what Dante shared (just using Excel), or if there are other tracking systems being used out there to supplement OpenSpace use. I’m sure the OpenSpace schedule Dante shared would be helpful as a starting point for others out there just getting started with OpenSpace!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing Dante, nice looking excel sheet!
We perform Openspace walks on a per project basis. In general we perform openspace site walks once a week for consistancy and accountability. We will then increase frequency of walks to 2-3 times a week based on the size of the project team and what is happening on site. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing Dante, nice looking excel sheet!
We perform Openspace walks on a per project basis. In general we perform openspace site walks once a week for consistancy and accountability. We will then increase frequency of walks to 2-3 times a week based on the size of the project team and what is happening on site. 

Once you start getting in to the 2-3 times a week phase, is it a finger pointing match on who does the walk, low man on the totem pole thing, or just a volunteer the day of scenario?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We have one job that has a assigned laborer walk the entire job 2 times a week. The project team was running into the finger pointing match and the job is so big that it was taking up a good portion of their time. I receive the capture reminder emails but it would be cool to have a setting within Openspace to assign who those capture reminder emails go to and the frequency of when they receive them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have one job that has a assigned laborer walk the entire job 2 times a week. The project team was running into the finger pointing match and the job is so big that it was taking up a good portion of their time. I receive the capture reminder emails but it would be cool to have a setting within Openspace to assign who those capture reminder emails go to and the frequency of when they receive them.

@Cwahl This would have been a big help at my previous project. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

used open space for something a little different today. building a 35 story high rise currently. we are framed with drywall top out done up to level 09 and layout done up to level 19. MEP subs having layout of penetrations through walls on time is almost always an issue with “go back work” by framer/drywaller trade usually associated with missing layout. sequencing has the MEP trades laying out their penetrations 1 floor ahead of framing. this creates opportunity for an open space capture right before framing begins that accounts for layout having been present at the time framing begins and eliminates argument of weather layout was or was not there. This helps greatly with identifying cost responsible party of said “go back” work.

Held camera face down towards floor about waist height with a decent light and walked the entire floor , every wall line and defiantly captured what was or was not there at the time.

PRICELESS!! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I take captures just about every day on various floors for general progress documentation, but there are definitely specific windows of time to document milestones like before concrete pours and wall close up. I’ve always found that your best resource will always always always be your superintendents! More likely than not, they know the construction schedule better than you and that will drive your capture schedule. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

used open space for something a little different today. building a 35 story high rise currently. we are framed with drywall top out done up to level 09 and layout done up to level 19. MEP subs having layout of penetrations through walls on time is almost always an issue with “go back work” by framer/drywaller trade usually associated with missing layout. sequencing has the MEP trades laying out their penetrations 1 floor ahead of framing. this creates opportunity for an open space capture right before framing begins that accounts for layout having been present at the time framing begins and eliminates argument of weather layout was or was not there. This helps greatly with identifying cost responsible party of said “go back” work.

Held camera face down towards floor about waist height with a decent light and walked the entire floor , every wall line and defiantly captured what was or was not there at the time.

PRICELESS!! 

@ReaJoshua, as much as I hate the never ending argument of whether layout was or wasn’t in place prior to framing… I absolutely LOVE asking the foremen:

“Do you have a picture of it?

….Because I do.”

*As I casually pull out my phone and use OpenSpace to undeniably eradicate their claim* lol