Question

User Experience Questions

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am a new adopter and I am working to develop the best implementation for my company. After a few hands on captures I have a few ideas and questions. I may be alone in some of these comments.

• To jump into a capture it’s called “IMAGES” which was initially confusing. This could potentially be improved by calling it something else like “Captures” or “3D photos” or even “Enter”. I get the symbology now as I see it used elsewhere, but if it was a different color it might pop better to indicate that’s what you really want to see.
  • The scroll feature seems disproportionate. I feel like I need five or six full scroll wheel units to zoom into the part of the floor plan I want to see. I find myself using the floor plan to navigate a lot, and I am really exercising my scroll wheel finger. The zoom similarly feels slow. This may all be part of the software intending to be phone/tablet based, but I see myself looking at these captures on my computer often. 
  • Is there a way to set a preference to the distances between the location donuts? my captures seem to be really inconsistent and some are even right next to eachother (image below). I definitely see the desire to specify a ‘suggested’ distance between location donuts - bigger for larger spaces, smaller for tighter office spaces

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I gotta say I have never had that problem of the “donuts” being too close.  I would always love mine to be closer, but yeah being able to suggest a distance would be really cool.  I think the software is picking the highest quality shots, my work around is usually doing more than 1 lap.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I don’t have any response to your first comment as I think I’ve just gotten used to the nomenclature, so if a change is made on your behalf that makes sense to OpenSpace, I’ll probably just adapt… it’s a fair assessment.  For your second and third comments, I think that you may be going through your process of learning the best way to walk a floorplan.  I think the problem with a set distance between the donuts (mmm…. doughnuts) is that the program does not know where you are going to walk and you control the path.  If you restrict it by distance, you may not allow the captures to take a photo of something you really want because you are too close to the last capture taken. 

Something to consider… If the donuts (mmm…. doughnuts) are too close, you may be walking too slowly or you may have inadvertently stayed in one spot longer than you thought.  Also, if you are zooming too much, you may need to adjust your path in the space.  For instance, if you walk into a square room and just go to the center and walk back out, you may have to zoom a lot to get to the walls.  The next time, you may want to do a perimeter walk of the room, let’s say... 10’ away, from the perimeter and see if that is giving you a better capture.  If a room is really big, you may have to zig-zag in there to really catch everything.  Keep a steady pace (it’s taking 2 photos/second) and try to ensure you are covering enough ground and see if that helps you on the next capture.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Dunkin really ruined everyone’s ability to spell that work right.  Almost like the 1-800 Kars for Kids… Also good point on the walk path @Anodizedfate .  @Alex_PEC would you mind sharing a photo of one of your walk paths (just the path on the floorplan).  I could show you one of mine to compare.

Userlevel 3
Badge

First, I have to justify my spelling! You had me nervous, but google saved me.

This was my first capture, so I am sure I will learn a lot the more I do. See image below. Highlighted is where the double occurred. 

Finally, @Anodizedfate the zooming I am usually doing is on the floor plan itself instead of the images. I want to get into a specific office, or see a specific space. so my scroll wheel goes a ’spinning trying to pick where I want to land. 

Thanks for all your feedback!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Alex_PEC Ahh ok, that makes sense.  You can just grab a corner of the plan and stretch it out on the screen to enhance the size of it.  You have another post where I did an example of that on my screen… you are right, it is really cumbersome to zoom in all the time.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

As for the close donuts/doughnuts/fritters/cruellers/beignets (mmm… fried bread), what I usually do when I am traveling down the same hallway twice is to pick a side for one route and travel the other side on the way back.  It’ll help differentiate the path a little bit more and may not bunch up your…. blue circles.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

setting a default starting point or being able to “star” certain points in the walk that are important would be an awesome feature that i think would save time trying to explain to people where to look and save the hassle of creating a field note when not really necessary.