Question

Automated Scan2BIM Solution

• 2 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I am a newbie here in this community. 

Is there a solution for converting scanned point data directly into a BIM model (IFC format) without any human interventions.  Ideally a robot mounted Lidar camera would traverse an interior space,  autonomously and send the captured point cloud data to a cloud platform, where it will be processed into a BIM model using AI/ML algorithms in a matter of minutes ?

Will the community be interested in such a solution ? 

Cheers

2 replies

Hey @hampisoft ! It’s nice to e-meet you - my name is Molly, and I’m the Product Manager for BIM-based workflows in OpenSpace. Our 3D Scans feature does a version of what you describe - but for smaller spaces. The resulting .OBJ file can be downloaded once a 3D scan is processed and available in OS. I’m curious about a couple of follow up questions from your request:

1. What problem would it solve for you if OS were to offer this feature for large areas (rather than the areas currently supported in our 3D scans feature)?
  2. What file format would you want to see the processed 3D model in, and why? What would you use it for? How would you want to interact with it?

Cheers,

Molly

Userlevel 1

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.  We need to convert large buildings with a builtup area of 100000 sft ot more and output format should be IFC 4.0.  Currently we have started to develop our own solutions as there are none available in the market.  Our target is to automattically reconstruct Architectural, Strucral and MEP building objebcts into BIM elements.

Cheers
HampiSoft