Any Experience with OpenSpace 3D Scan™ ?

• 23 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone used the OpenSpace 3D Scan™ tool? I haven’t used this tool yet.

Do you also need consistent WI-FI connection or consistent cellular service connection in order for the 3D Scan tool to work efficiently?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Kev !

My name is Dan and I am on the OpenSpace support team.

When you take a Lidar 3D scan with the OpenSpace app you do not need to be actively connected to WiFi or Cellular data. I would recommend that you sync the Project while connected to WiFi/Cellular data before you go out to the site, this will ensure that the OpenSpace app is up to date ( your sheets are properly loaded, etc. ). Then you are free to go and take your 3d scans with no WiFi or Cellular Data.

Then when you are back with a strong connection open the app., go to your Project and then select Uploads to start pushing them to OpenSpace.

Please let me know if you have any questions !

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Dan Keniley Thank you for your product feedback on this! Sounds pretty straight forward. I’ll let you know if I have future questions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It works well for a relatively small area, but don’t try to scan a whole floor.  I used it for an area where I needed to get a bunch of dimensions and it came in handy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Dante DeFazio That’s really good advice. Thank you.

Userlevel 3

It works well for a relatively small area, but don’t try to scan a whole floor.  I used it for an area where I needed to get a bunch of dimensions and it came in handy.

Totally right. We use it with the iPhone 14 pro max and it’s good for small areas. If you want to do bigger scans I recomand you to use an app like https://poly.cam/

You can scan entire rooms and it makes floor plans etc...

We tried the Openspace 3D to scan technical rooms, the advantage is the quality of the area you scanned is way more better ! When you scan, just make sure there is enough light to optimise the quality.