What questions are you looking to answer when you open the OpenSpace app?

• 28 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello All! For those in the US, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving last week  🦃 

My name is Michaela Rhile -- I am on the OpenSpace Product team. Right now, @Amy Zhang and I are thinking a lot about how we can help our customers to more quickly answer questions and find the data that is most important to them in OpenSpace. With that in mind, we are curious to hear from you all. 

❓❓❓What kinds of questions are you typically looking to answer when you open the OpenSpace web or mobile app? What kinds of tasks are you looking to accomplish when you open the OpenSpace web or mobile app? ❓❓❓

We are interested in any thoughts or ideas you have on this. You can respond on this thread!

Thank you 🙂

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Michaela Rhile I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well! I hope I interpreted your questions correctly.

The first question I look to answer is how do I know I can run a 360 video on the app on my tablet (Galaxy S5E) and pre-load all my stored suggested video titles. The answer to this tells me the app is ready to use.

• I open the app on the jobsite and figure out an area I can open the app so I get cellular data reception. I do this so all the previously uploaded captures pre-upload into the app for me which tells me the app is ready to use. The camera WIFI and tablet connects automatically at this point. The stored suggested video titles are also saved at this point.

The tasks I’m looking to accomplish using the app and camera are to stop for a longer duration on specific areas that may require field notes during my walkthroughs. These areas I stop at are areas that needs inspection or an area that is addressed in a QA/QC report. I add field notes after the video is uploaded into the OpenSpace job.

I walk the entire floor plan but most importantly I look to accomplish documenting fast-tracked areas of the job and equipment that are in walls and ceilings before and after they are embedded into that assembly.

Userlevel 4

Hi @KevLyons !! Thank you! This is really helpful. Once you have captured on the mobile app, will you ever use the web/desktop app to view captures or try to answer other questions? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Michaela Rhile I more thoroughly review captures on the desktop app if the OpenSpace job has a BIM model and I look through the BIM model with the BIM viewer feature in first person aligned with the OpenSpace capture field of view. The BIM viewer tool gives me an approximate measurements which I can use as a reference to mark up a PDF requesting/confirming dimensions in a floor plan. (This would be an indirect use as I only pull a dimension and use that dimension only, not the BIM viewer itself). I do sometimes include a picture of the area using a desktop screenshot of the area for reference from the OpenSpace capture.

I have also used OS Tracking/Clearsight. I look over the captures to make sure the OS Tracking Wall and Ceiling AI data metrics match up to our approximate production of construction materials installed (answering questions on approximate materials installed).

Userlevel 4

Thanks Kevin! This is really valuable! CC: @Amy Zhang 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Amy Zhang @Michaela Rhile Hi Amy, just copying you for reference. I hope I answered both your questions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I do captures using a camera on my hat and using my phone’s mobile app.  Pretty much the only thing I use the phone app for is to click start capture.  I am trying to get better with also hitting the button for field note, but don’t use the phone app for any viewing or anything besides setting up the capture.

I use the desktop/website a lot.  I think the most frequent question I probably have is either

“what did this space look like previously?” 

(Split View → manually adjust dates until desired side by side is achieved)

“Is something installed or not?”

(unfortunately not having Track, I pull up the latest capture for the desired floor → click where I want to go on the map → voila)

OR

“When was the last time a floor or space was captured?”

(either pull up the floor to see date or scroll through list view of captures)

Userlevel 4

Thanks @Gerard O'Donnell ! That is really helpful! Thank you for sharing the questions you ask and then what your next steps are. 

​​​​@Evan Scott @Amy Zhang